I had another snow day this past Tuesday. After several cups of coffee and getting caught up on grading assignments before the end of the semester, I decided to be productive around the house.
I began working on a project for a friend, but quickly hit a roadblock and decided to start another. Hilary and I have been going back and forth about what to do with the guest bedroom since September. When our temporary roommate quit his job, decided to tour the country with rock band Relient K, and moved out, we decided to get off dead center. We have settled on a vision for the space that includes the same wall color from our bedroom, living room, and Hilary’s office (by Sherwin Williams), painting the dark-stained trim white, and building a custom headboard for the queen sized bed; by the time we are finished, the room should have a cozy-yet-modern feel.
Trim was the first order of business. Before getting out the paint brush, I had to move furniture, sand the trim, and use masking tape to seal the carpet (that was Hilary’s job). Since our carpet is new, I vacuumed the gap between the baseboard and carpet to get rid of loose threads. I brushed out the casings and baseboard using Sherwin-William’s extreme bonding primer, a thick primer that’s easy to work with and doesn’t require sanding between coats.
I didn’t run into any major issues while prepping the trim, but I did notice some large gaps left by the carpenters who installed the baseboard. Carpenters can typically get away with less precision when a piece of woodwork is not going to be painted. These gaps will be caulked easily enough and will disappear once the top coat is applied. An old saying around jobsites goes, “a tube of caulk and a can of paint make a carpenter what he ain’t!”